What is DoxyPEP?
DoxyPEP is a post-exposure preventative treatment for syphilis, chlamydia, and gonorrhea. Think of it as a morning-after pill but for bacterial STIs instead of pregnancy: take one dose after a condomless sexual encounter to greatly reduce your risk of contracting bacterial STIs.
DoxyPEP does NOT help prevent:
- Mpox (monkeypox)
- Other viral infections
Who should consider DoxyPEP?
You should consider DoxyPEP if you were assigned male at birth, are at least 12 years old, and:
- Have been diagnosed with at least one bacterial STI (i.e., chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis) in the last 12 months
- Have had condomless oral and/or anal sexual contact with at least one individual assigned male at birth in the last 12 months
How can I get DoxyPEP?
- Make sure you’re eligible to take DoxyPEP (see “Who should consider DoxyPEP?” above)
- Schedule a visit at any Henderson Wellness Clinic location.
- Tell your scheduler or indicate in your online submission that you’re interested in starting DoxyPEP
- Attend your appointment: the provider will do STI testing and basic bloodwork to confirm your eligibility
- Once your test results come back and your eligibility is confirmed, we will provide you with a doxycycline prescription
- Pick up your prescription.
- Keep the bottle in your medicine cabinet or on your nightstand until you need it!
Paying for PEP
Most insurance, including Medicaid and Medicare, cover PEP. There are also programs that provide PEP for free or at a reduced cost. PEP navigators can help.
What else should I know before starting DoxyPep?